FOOD • HISTORY • FARMING
Wyening Mission Farm is a family business operating near Calingiri in the West Australian wheatbelt. The farm was established in 1878 by Bishop Salvado, founder of the Benedictine Community at nearby New Norcia.
The Benedictine Monks operated Wyening Mission as a pastoral station, poultry farm and winery for over 90 years and the Mission House became a significant community and religious centre for the area. The existing buildings on the property retain the character of the early mission farming and wine making days where the Spanish monks cultivated orchards, olives and grapes. The historic precinct includes the Mission House (1892), Winery (1919), Manager’s House (1905), Worker’s cottage (1920), stone dams and wells and remnants of early agricultural systems.
Wyening Mission Farm now operates as a grain producer and promotes regional food, history and farming.
The history of food continues with our range of gourmet food products.
A traditional nut and spice mix.
• Enjoy as a snack – Dip good bread into olive oil then into Dukkah.
• Sprinkle lamb chops with Dukkah and grill.
• Top jacket potatoes with sour cream then sprinkle with Dukkah.
A traditional Mediterranean Kalamata Olive paste.
• Enjoy as a snack – on water crackers and soft cheese, such as brie or goat’s cheese.
• Use as a pizza topping instead of tomato paste.
• Spread on the top of lamb before roasting to add flavour.
FIG + FENNEL PASTE WITH PEAR
• Ideal glaze for a pork roast
• Serve with hard or soft cheese, or as a stand-alone on toasted sourdough.
• Try using a small dollop in the centre of cupcakes – a sweet surprise!
OLIVE SEEDED MUSTARD
• Serve in a ‘Ploughman’s Lunch’ with bread, red meats and cheese.
• Cut and boil small gourmet potatoes. Toss oil and Mustard through and serve warm.
• Serve as an accompaniment to steak.
CHILLI AND GARLIC OLIVES
ROSEMARY AND LEMON OLIVES
WHERE TO BUY
Liquorice Gourmet Foods
Carine Glades Shopping Centre,
Beach Road, Carine
420 Joondalup Drive, Joondalup
23 St Quentins Ave, Claremont
Bicton Fresh Provisions
258 Canning Hwy Bicton
25 Preston St, Como
Pronto Gourmet Butcher
Mosman Park Shopping Centre, Monument St, Mosman Park
REGIONAL WA OUTLETS
New Norcia Museum and Gallery Shop
Great Northern Highway,
Great Northern Hwy, Bindoon
West Coast Honey
172 Gingin Brook Rd, Gingin
Wongan Visitors Centre
Fenton Street, Wongan Hills
Toodyay Visitors Centre
Piesse St, Toodyay
WMF products are included in:
08 9575 1253
TOURS + EVENTS
For tours and event enquiries contact:
Today, the Young Family maintains the precinct as an important heritage site in the community, conserving the buildings and landscape. Tours and events are held at the buildings to share and enjoy the history of Wyening.
Group tours of the Historic precinct with morning or afternoon tea are held April to September by appointment only.
The 100 year old stone winery is a unique venue for a range of functions including jazz nights, weddings, indoor and outdoor gatherings.
Please contact us to discuss a tour or event at Wyening Mission Farm. All visits to the farm are by appointment only.
DESIGN BY PUBLIC CREATIVE